Teresa and Reinhard Stehle

Teresa and Reinhard Stehle
Teresa Weser Stehle (1849-1941) and Reinhard Stehle (1841-1913). Summit Street, Marietta, OH. Children: Nancy J., John R., Frank R. Virginia A., Joseph K., Mary, George, and Lawrence

Roman and Reinhard

Roman Weser was the father-in-law of Reinhard Stehle. Both were born and raised in Binsdorf, Wuertemburg, Germany.

Roman Weser (born 1822) immigrated to America first with his brother, Matthew, and settled in Wood County, Virginia. He married Nancy Joseph Wigal in 1842. His brother married Nancy's sister, Rebecca Wigal. Roman, Nancy, Matthew, and Rebecca are all buried in Wood County on the 100 acer Lee Creek farm just southeast of what is now Lubek, WV. The land was originally purchased by the Wigal girl's grandfather, Joseph Joseph in 1815. In a will probated 3 May 1838, Joseph Joseph left his granddaughter, Nancy Joseph Wigal, "aHorse Saddle and bridle a cow and calf bed and bedding bureau and table and the child of my slave Suckey called Elizabeth Amie." Her sister got only a "Horse Saddle and bridle."

Roman returned to Germany around the time of the Civil War. When he came back, western Virginia was the new state of West Virginia and Reinhard was with him. A ship's passenger list for the Saxonia, sailing in April of 1866 from Hamburg to New York lists a R. Weser (44) followed by a R. Stahle [sic] (24).

Reinhard Stehle (born 1841) married Roman's daughter Teresa M. Weser in 1868 and started his family in West Virginia. The 1870 WV Census lists Reinhard (28) as a shoemaker living in Lubek Township, Wood County, WV with his wife Teresa (21). His first four children, Roman, Josie, Nancy Josephine (Nan), and John R. Stehle were born in Wood County between 1871 and 1875. Roman and Josie each lived only a few hours. The family moved to Marietta, Washington County, Ohio between 1875 and 1879. The 1880 Ohio Census lists Reinhard (39) - dealer in shoes, Teresa (31), Nancy (9), John (5) and Francis (1) living at 351 Wooster Street.

09 September 2009

Joseph Joseph's Will

Family line: Joseph Joseph (1758-1840) > Matilda Bond Joseph Wigal (b.c. 1796) > Nancy Joseph Wigal Weser (1825-1896) > Teresa May Weser Stehle (1849-1941) > Joseph K. Stehle, Sr., (1883-1962) > Joseph K. Stehle, Jr., (1915-1991) > Jayne Stehle

Will of Joseph Joseph

Written: 3 May 1838

Probated: 17 Feb 1840

Wood Co, WV, Will Book 3, p. 364

Note: Wood County, Virginia became Wood County, West Virginia at the close of the Civil War.

“In the name of God Amen I Joseph Joseph of Wood County and the State of Virginia being sick of body but sound of mind and judgment, and calling to mind the truth that all men must die I therefore wish to dispose of my Estate real and personal and imaginary in justice to myself my heirs and assigns forever, therefore and thereby revoking and annulling all former wills or stipulations previously made or executed by me in conjunction or separately from my former wife Ann Joseph deceased – Therefore I Joseph Joseph of the County of Wood and the State of Virginia do hereby make (my sill and Testament) my last will and Testament in manner and from following that is to say 1st I desire all my debts shall be paid 2nd I give to my Wife Nancy Joseph if she survives me all my real personal and estate of every description during her natural life. 3rd I desire that $1 be paid by my Executors to my son John Joseph or his heirs if called for, and $1 to the heirs of my daughter Nancy N. Joseph late Spouse of John Reeder, if called for, and $200 in money or property t my daughter Charlotte Joseph the Spouse of john Man or her heirs if called for provided they give no trouble to be paid within two years after the decease of my Wife and self. 4th I devise and hereby give to my Granddaughter Nancy Joseph Wigal a Horse Saddle and a bridle a cow and calf bed and bedding bureau and table and the child of my slave Suckey called Elizabeth Amie. 5th I give my Granddaughter Matilda Bond Man one bed and bedding. 6th I give to my Daughter Matilda Bond Joseph Spouse of Daniel Wigal and to the heirs of her body all my real Estate on the Waters of Lee Creek with the exception of the Lot of ground of thirthy acres and one hundred poles deeded and conveyed to the Rev. James Reid and the foregoing items already mentioned I give to Matilda [Bond Joseph] Wigal above mentioned all my slaves and their issue except Elizabeth Amie aforesaid, with the provise that after the decease of myself and my Wife, my slave Manica shall have her freedom, and if the said Manica shall not be able to support herself, my Daughter Matilda and Daniel Wigal shall be bound to support her, and provide for her comfort. 7th I give to my Grandchildren Joseph, William, John, Daniel, George and James Reid Wigal the remainder of my personal property except a Horse Saddle and bridle which shall be reserved for my Granddaughter Rebecca Wigal.

Lastly I appoint Daniel Wigal my Executor of this my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 3 day of May in the year of our Lord 1838

Signed sealed and delivered published and declared by Joseph Joseph as and for his last Will and Testament in presence and hearing of us, who at his request and in his presence have subscribed our names as Witnesses

Barnes Beckwith Joseph Joseph

Robert Edelin

John Sowers

George Johnson

Probated Wood Co, (W) Va. 2-17-1840

Reference:

Wood Co, W. Va. Marriage Register #1, p.20

Daniel Wigal married Matilda Joseph September 22, 1822

Wood Co, W. Va. Deed Book #27, p.345

1866 Daniel Wigal and wife Matilda deed to Rebecca Weser (last deed made by Daniel and Matilda Wigal in Wood Co.)

Wood Co, W. Va. Death Register #1, p.1

Barbara Wigal died 8/24/1853 age 86, married, death reported by son William Wigal

Wood Co, W. Va. Will Book #1, p.145

An Inventory and Appraisement of the Estate of Philip Wigal Decd. Made this twelfth day of April 1815

John Wigal, Adm.

Appraised by Benjamin Mayberry, Thomassen Turner, Jonathan Prentis

No comments: